Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Friends are Important

No matter when you meet them in life, friends are invaluable. That's why, when we heard that a friend who is currently living in Italy (Ok, so we're also a little jealous of that fact) was going to be in town we jumped at the chance to see her again.

It was terrific to meet up with Kathleen last Wednesday along with a bunch of Jaycee friends whom we haven't seen in a few months. We got to catch up a little, hear about future plans to visit Kathleen (again, just a little jealous, Val) and let everyone see how much Jacob has grown.

That very same day I learned that a good friend from back in high school had passed away after a long, courageous, and tough battle with Cystic Fibrosis. As an entertainer (on Broadway and international tours of Broadway shows) his lungs were his life and they failed him. He had an absolutely gorgeous and powerful tenor (he truly could have been a soprano if he wanted to) voice, excellent acting ability, decent dancing skills and boundless energy.

Not exactly things you would associate with someone with CF. Of course, the fact that Matt didn't know he had CF (just problems gaining weight and a constant dry cough) was probably near the top of the list as to why he didn't let the illness get him down. His constant optimism and contagious laugh would be at the very top of the list.

Unfortunately I missed my last 2 opportunities to see Matt perform. He returned to Fargo following his diagnosis so he could spend his remaining time with his close-knit family. While back home he participated in an NDSU production of Chorus Line and at last year's Trollwood reunion spectacular. Since Jacob had only just arrived I wasn't able to make it to either which makes me feel like I missed out on saying goodbye to someone who helped make my life in high school a lot better on so many days.

I don't ever want to say I missed my opportunity to let a friend know how much they mean ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment