Friday, January 23, 2009

Inaugural Week

Yes, We Can! I was so thrilled to watch President Barack Obama get sworn in that I was glued to the video feed my company set up for us...all day long!

I shed a few tears, mostly out of such pride for my country and how far we've come. Not just in the last 60 years, but also since the first few years of our nation when the White House was built by slaves. As a poli-sci major I thought I would be an old woman before I saw an African American elected to the office of President. Such a doubter! Shame on me.

A new era of leadership, fresh ideas, amazing sense of hope, and a willingness by most to chip in and get done what needs to get done (sounds like the start of a Jaycee year!).

In that spirit of Yes, We Can! I read a Washington Post article about a Sudanese woman who recently gave birth to quints nearby in Laurel, MD. Her husband is stuck back in Sudan (she came over here to meet with her mother-in-law early in her pregnancy when complications meant she had to remain here to give birth) and is in desperate need of a good support system. We have one child and plenty of support so I can only imagine the difficulties she's experiencing.

She needs diapers, formula, clothing (4 girls/1boy), money, and at some point a job. I can't give her a job, but I can do what I can to help collect the rest. If you want to contribute anything, please let me know and I'll find a way to get it from you and to the folks that are managing the collections for her.

2 comments:

  1. it was an amazing experience! we had such a great time watching it in Egypt! brought a different perspective as Egyptians were cheering right alongside us and saying "Congrats." this is not just a great thing for USA but for the world as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We would be willing to help by contributing some diapers and/or some money. Let us know when you need it and what size and type of diapers we could buy.

    Al and Marsha Luce

    ReplyDelete